In a shocking development, the last of four suspects in the murder of 22-year-old Bolt driver Isaac Satlat surrendered to police on Monday, February 16, in Atteridgeville.
He is expected to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, February 17.
Earlier the same day, three of Satlat’s alleged killers, Dikeledi Tears Phela, Gositsiane Machidi, and McClaren Mushwana, appeared in court but abandoned their bail applications, choosing to remain behind bars.
Supporters and e-hailing drivers staged a picket outside the courthouse, chanting “Justice for Isaac” as the trio appeared briefly before the matter was postponed, while calling on the government to improve safety for digital platform drivers.
Provincial police spokesperson Mavela Masondo confirmed that all four suspects, including the one who surrendered later, face charges of premeditated murder, aggravated robbery, and car hijacking in connection with the fatal attack on the Pretoria West e-hailing driver last week.
The case relates to the February 11 incident in which Satlat was allegedly attacked after responding to a ride request. His vehicle and body were later found in Atteridgeville. The killing, which was captured on camera and widely circulated on social media, sparked national outrage.
Police have confirmed that investigations are ongoing. The matter was postponed to February 23 for further investigations.
Earlier on Monday, Gauteng police confirmed the arrests of two additional male suspects, aged 30 and 26, who joined the third suspect, a 25-year-old woman, in court. Masondo said: “The police have arrested two more suspects after an e-hailing driver was allegedly killed on Wednesday, 11 February 2026. The two male suspects, who are aged 30 and 26, will join the third suspect, aged 25, who was arrested on Friday, 13 February 2026. All suspects are expected to appear before the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Monday, 16 February 2026, facing charges that include car hijacking and murder.”
The killing has sent shockwaves through the e-hailing community and sparked outrage over the safety of drivers who risk their lives daily to earn a living.
MMC for Roads and Transport Tlangi Nnoke condemned the attack in the strongest terms, describing it as a senseless act of violence that underscores the dangers faced by operators.
“The Office of Roads and Transport is deeply saddened by the circulating video of the violent attack on an e-hailing operator allegedly in Pretoria West and would like to condemn the incident in the strongest possible terms,” she said.
“The despicable and violent way the operator was taken points to a violent act of crime in this country and also highlights the plight of e-hailing operators when it comes to their safety. No one should lose their life or be harmed while trying to earn an honest living. Drivers play a critical role in keeping our transport system functioning and supporting the livelihoods of their families and those they ferry on a daily basis.”
Nnoke added that an attack on a driver is an attack on the dignity of work and the stability of communities, vowing that her office would continue working with law enforcement and transport stakeholders to ensure the safety of all road users.
In a statement, Bolt said it was “deeply saddened” by the tragic incident involving a driver operating on its platform.
“Our thoughts and condolences are with the victim’s family and loved ones during this incredibly difficult time,” the company said.
“We are working closely with law enforcement authorities and will provide all necessary information to support their investigation and help bring those responsible to justice. We are conducting a thorough internal review of this case and will take any additional measures necessary to strengthen enforcement and enhance safety on the platform.”
The Star