The Star News

Cat Matlala 'wants leniency' for information on R228 million tender

Rapula Moatshe|Published

Alleged crime mastermind Vusimuzi Matlala has allegedly approached IDAC offering information in exchange for leniency in his corruption trial related to the multimillion rand Medicare24 tender.

Image: Oupa Mokoena / Independent Newspapers

The Investigative Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) has declined to comment on claims that alleged crime mastermind Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala offered to provide information to the law-enforcement unit in exchange for leniency in his corruption case. The case relates to the R228 million tender irregularly awarded by SAPS to Matlala’s company, Medicare24 Tshwane District.

This follows media reports claiming Matlala felt used and let down after suspended Police Minister Senzo Mchunu and top police officials failed to shield him from arrest during the SAPS raid at his residence and offices.

Matlala recently appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court with senior police officers who face corruption and fraud charges over the tender. 

Suspended SAPS National Commissioner Fannie Masemola, a co-accused, faces four charges, including breaches of the Public Finance Management Act, fraud, money laundering, and other financial misconduct.

According to reports, Matlala’s lawyers reached out to IDAC with information allegedly linking senior police officers and potentially politicians, to wrongdoing.

When asked about allegations that Matlala was providing information to IDAC, spokesperson Henry Mamothame declined to comment, stating: “IDAC won’t be commenting on your enquiry.”

This occurred despite media reports that he had confirmed consultations with Matlala were finished, and that new information from those discussions led the state to open further investigations.

Reports also suggested Matlala believes the police top brass betrayed him when his multimillion rand tender was scrapped due to irregularities.

Sithembiso Mshengu, Mchunu's spokesperson, did not respond to a request for comment. 

Brown Mogotsi, a controversial North West businessman and political fixer arrested on Friday, told the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry last year that Matlala had sought to meet Mchunu during the ANC’s January 8, 2025 celebration in Cape Town. 

He also alleged that Matlala financed ANC members' travel expenses to attend the event.

Mogotsi faces charges for allegedly orchestrating a staged assassination attempt in the Vosloorus matter and for defeating the ends of justice.

Mogotsi previously stated that Matlala paid R149,000 to Gotlhe Travel, a travel agency run by Mogotsi’s fiancé.

Matlala previously claimed he paid former Police Minister Bheki Cele R500,000 in cash on two separate occasions with a view to prevent police harassment and facilitate the return of his seized firearms.

This was revealed during Matlala's testimony before the Parliamentary Ad Hoc Committee in November, where he alleged that Cele solicited a R1 million bribe, part of which was reportedly handed over in Woolworths shopping bags. 

He testified that Cele’s initial demand was R1m, but only R500,000 was paid.

Attempts to get a comment from Cele on Sunday were unsuccessful; a WhatsApp message went unanswered, and several calls were not returned.

In commission testimony last year, Mogotsi alleged that Cele accepted a R2 million payment from Matlala, whom he referred to as “John Wick.”

“John Wick” is reportedly linked to Boko Haram, a gang known for extorting local businesses in Mamelodi, Pretoria.

Mogotsi further alleged that Cele knew Matlala’s identity since 2018, contradicting Cele’s assertion that they first met in 2024. He also claimed Cele received a report outlining Matlala’s alleged criminal involvement.

Meanwhile, in a media statement on Sunday, IDAC said it was concerned about rumours and enquiries suggesting it had issued a J50 warrant of arrest for KwaZulu-Natal SAPS chief Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi.

Mamothame said: “The information is false and dismissed with the contempt it deserves. These rumours have clearly started to disrupt and distract the work of IDAC, as well as the responsibilities that General Mkhwanazi is discharging in the fight against crime.” 

He urged the public to be vigilant against false information circulating on social media that aims to destabilise and discredit law enforcement in the country. 

[email protected]