The Star News

Action SA candidate accuses SAPS of allowing illegal foreign spaza shop operators to influence policing

Masabata Mkwananzi|Published

ActionSA Ekurhuleni mayoral candidate Cllr Xolani Khumalo has accused the South African Police Service (SAPS) of granting illegal foreign spaza shop operators “undue access and influence” within policing processes after he allegedly encountered Ethiopian, Somali, and Bangladeshi nationals engaging with officers at Vosloorus Police Station during an active investigation linked to the Mazwi Kubheka case.

Khumalo said he visited the station on Wednesday, May 20, to request a briefing on the status of the investigation into Kubheka’s disappearance before proceeding to visit the 27-year-old businessman at the invitation of his family following his discharge from hospital.

However, Khumalo said he was left alarmed after encountering foreign nationals allegedly engaging with police officials as “purported stakeholders”.

“It is concerning that upon my arrival, I was confronted by Ethiopian, Somali, and Bangladeshi nationals who were engaging with police officials as purported stakeholders. This reflects the extent to which foreign interests are gaining undue access and influence within our law enforcement processes,” Khumalo said.

He further questioned the legitimacy of such engagement, arguing that police are effectively sidelining South African entrepreneurs while allowing foreign operators access to policing structures.

“Communities across Ekurhuleni have expressed growing outrage that the South African Police Service (SAPS) continues to recognise and engage with forums of illegal foreign Spaza Shop operators, many of whom are regularly seen convening at police stations. Law enforcement should not be wasting public resources entertaining these groups.”

Khumalo insisted that SAPS priorities should shift away from engagement and focus on enforcement action.

“Their priority must be to arrest, investigate, and pursue the deportation of those operating outside the law,” he said.

He warned that the alleged legitimisation of illegal foreign operators is directly harming local economic participation.

“By granting legitimacy to illegal foreign operators, SAPS is effectively sidelining the constitutional rights and economic livelihoods of South African small business owners.”

The mayoral candidate linked the issue to broader unemployment pressures and the struggle of township entrepreneurs, arguing that the spaza shop sector should serve as a key entry point for youth economic participation.

“It was a grave policy failure to allow control of the Spaza Shop sector to slip into the hands of foreign nationals,” Khumalo said.

ActionSA has now announced plans to intensify its campaign in Ekurhuleni, saying it intends to push for what it calls the “reclamation” of the spaza shop sector.

“In the coming weeks, we will escalate our campaign with a clear, actionable plan to reclaim the Spaza Shop sector in Ekurhuleni. Our objective is unambiguous: by the conclusion of this campaign, every Spaza Shop operating in the region must be under South African ownership.”

Khumalo also confirmed a personal intervention to assist Vosloorus businessman Mazwi Mpumelelo Kubheka, whose disappearance sparked widespread concern in the community.

Kubheka resurfaced earlier this month after being missing for nearly a month. Police said the case remains under investigation.

“I will be making a substantial personal donation to Mazwi Kubheka’s business. When he has recovered and is ready to resume operations, his shop will be fully restocked and positioned to serve the community as it should, under South African hands,” Khumalo said.

Police investigations into Kubheka’s disappearance are ongoing, with authorities yet to confirm any arrests linked to the case.

The Star

[email protected]