Controversial political fixer Brown Mogotsi is expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday following his arrest over an alleged staged hit in Vosloorus.
Image: IOL Graphics
Controversial political fixer and self-proclaimed undercover police agent, Brown Mogotsi will appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday after his arrest on Friday evening in connection with allegations that he faked a hit on himself in Vosloorus in November 2025.
The North West businessman was arrested shortly after testifying at the Madlanga Commission.
He is facing charges of defeating the ends of justice
National police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe said a SAPS multidisciplinary team had executed a J50 warrant of arrest on Friday evening.
“The case emanates from the alleged staging of an attempted assassination on the suspect’s life in Vosloorus,” Mathe said.
She added that preliminary investigations indicated the firearm allegedly used in the incident had also been linked to other serious violent crimes, including murder and attempted murder cases.
The arrest relates to a November 2025 incident in which Mogotsi claimed unknown gunmen ambushed him while he was driving a red Chevrolet in Vosloorus.
He alleged that attackers travelling in a white bakkie opened fire on his vehicle.
Police later recovered about 11 bullet casings from the scene.
Mogotsi is alleged to have staged his own hit.
Meanwhile, his legal team claimed they were not informed by police about the arrest and expressed concern that he may be “hungry and cold” in custody.
His legal representative, Radasi Sekgatja, said the arrest came immediately after Mogotsi completed his testimony before the commission.
“We are informed, because we were not present at the time of the arrest, that immediately after our client gave testimony at the commission, he was arrested outside the commission’s offices,” Sekgatja said.
He said the arrest was linked to Mogotsi’s alleged attempted hit but said details remained unclear.
“Yes, the details are not that clear now, but the information before us is that it relates to defeating the ends of justice in Vosloorus,” he said.
Sekgatja also addressed reports that a firearm linked to the incident had been recovered.
“This is information we received from the media as well. We have not spoken to the police in relation to this matter and we do not recall anything about a firearm being recovered in relation to that arrest.”
“We believe these are trumped-up charges, which may have been motivated by our client’s stance in relation to his evidence before the Madlanga Commission,” he said.
He added that Mogotsi’s legal team had not yet spoken to him following the arrest.
“We are intending to speak to him as soon as possible. We are concerned that he is probably hungry and cold wherever he is, especially given the weather. We want to make sure he is kept warm,” Sekgatja said in an interview with SABC News.
Mogotsi has also been implicated in the parliamentary ad hoc committee investigation into allegations made by KwaZulu-Natal police commissioner Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, as well as proceedings before the Madlanga Commission.
His arrest followed a tense appearance before the commission earlier in the day.
The commission dismissed Mogotsi’s application to remove evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson after claims that Chaskalson had promised him immunity in exchange for implicating North West businessman Suliman Carrim.
Mogotsi accused Chaskalson of attempting to persuade him to “throw” Carrim “under the bus” in exchange for assistance from the commission’s evidence leader.
His lawyers argued that the alleged conduct demonstrated bias and justified Chaskalson’s recusal from the inquiry.
However, the commission questioned why no evidence of the alleged immunity offer appeared in the WhatsApp messages and documents submitted to the commission.
Advocate Nthabiseng Mohomane, representing Mogotsi, was pressed to explain the allegation.
“Because this is a serious allegation that you have made, and if it is not in the papers, I’m going to ask that you withdraw because it is quite a damaging allegation,” a commissioner said during the hearing.
Mohomane later conceded there was no evidence supporting the claim.
“I retract that and say an impression was created,” she told the commission.
In another setback for Mogotsi, his legal team admitted that he had been the first to contact Chaskalson, claiming to have information about Carrim.
Commission chairperson Justice Mbuyisile Madlanga dismissed the recusal application and ordered Mogotsi to continue with his testimony.
IOL News