Saturday Star News

Bonko Khoza denies allegations as Nirvana Nokwe speaks out on alleged on-set assault

Saturday Star Reporter|Published

Actor Bonko Khoza has denied sexual assault allegations made by actress Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku, after she accused him of violating her during the filming of the Showmax mini-series Red Ink in 2023.

Nokwe-Mseleku says she has opened a criminal case and reported the matter to the production’s executive producer, alleging that no meaningful action was taken.

“I am never going back to acting. I will never put myself in a position where I am told my body is not mine,” Nokwe said in a public post, describing the impact the alleged incident has had on her career and wellbeing.

Khoza has since issued a formal response, rejecting the allegations and maintaining that no misconduct occurred.

“I believe the allegations raised by Ms NokweMseleku are serious and must always be treated with the seriousness they deserve,” Khoza said.

“I stand by victims of sexual assault, however, deny that I sexually assaulted, thrusted upon or committed any misconduct in respect of Ms NokweMseleku and the production.”

Khoza said the incident relates to a “fully clothed violent stunt scene” filmed on 10 September 2023, which he said had been discussed in advance, choreographed, and rehearsed with Nokwe, the director, stunt coordinator, and other senior members of the production team.

He added that Nokwe had been offered a stunt double, which she declined, and said more than 12 crew members were present during filming, including the director, producer, stunt coordinator, and technical staff.

“At no point did any of these professionals observe or report any behaviour resembling the allegations now being made,” Khoza said.

According to Khoza, he requested and attended a meeting with the production team and his agent the day after the incident to address concerns and ensure the matter was handled appropriately.

The allegations have sparked significant reaction online, with social media users divided over the claims and responses.

Amid the fallout, Nokwe-Mseleku  has launched a petition calling for sweeping reforms within the film and television industry, arguing that her experience reflects broader systemic failures around workplace safety and accountability.

The petition calls for the establishment of independent licensing systems for industry professionals, mandatory trauma-informed and consent-based training, independent reporting and investigation mechanisms, regular safety audits, and stronger regulation of power dynamics within productions.

“This is not about replacing one form of control with another. This is about creating systems where no one has the power to harm without consequence,” the petition states.

The matter has intensified conversations around on-set safety, consent protocols, and how allegations of misconduct are handled within South Africa’s entertainment industry.

No official statement has yet been issued by the Red Ink production team or Showmax.