The Star Sport

Proteas trust high-octane bowling attack as they build toward India's destructive batting

T20 WORLD CUP

Ongama Gcwabe|Published

Lungi Ngidi celebrates one of his four wickets against Canada in the ICC T20 World Cup opener.

Image: AFP

South Africa finished the group stage of the ongoing ICC Men's T20 World Cup unscathed, having won all four of their matches, including Wednesday's six-wicket victory over the United Arab Emirates in Delhi. 

However, it is only now that the tournament begins for coach Shukri Conrad and his team, as they have been drawn in what is the strongest group in the Super 8 stage of the tournament, with in-form teams including the defending champions India, the two-time champions West Indies and a spirited Zimbabwe outfit. 

First up, South Africa are starring at a very steep mountain that is India. The two teams will meet at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Sunday. 

The real contest will be between South Africa's high-octane pace attack and India's destructive batting unit, led by the stylish Suryakumar Yadav. 

The Proteas have all the ingredients to keep India's batters quiet and have an abundance of options, as they have quicks of the calibre of Anrich Nortje and Kwena Maphaka, currently battling to find a place in the starting XI.

Corbin Bosch understands the calibre of bowlers that he has bowling alongside him and believes that their strength lies in setting high standards for themselves as a collective.

The 31-year-old also believes that they are at an advantage having played three of their group stage fixtures in Ahmedabad. 

"It's a privilege to be with a team with such incredible fast bowlers, and there's still Anrich on the side. The standards between the entire bowling lineup are really high. We feed off each other well," Bosch said, following his Player of the Match three-for on Wednesday. 

"It's exciting because you have the luxury to watch some of the best fast bowlers in the world. I've been fortunate enough to play a few games in Ahmedabad, which has been really nice.

"We've had the luxury of the conditions and assessing the field and game plans moving forward. The planning will now go towards individuals rather than a team perspective."

Bosch showed respect to India's batting unit, one that smashed 240 against them in the warm-up match earlier this month. 

"I think their whole batting lineup is quite destructive," he said. "So it'll be all of their batters (that have the potential of being destructive). So I'm not going to single out anyone," he added.

Contrary to what many would have believed, coach Conrad would have found the UAE fixture very useful rather than it being a deadrubber. 

He made four changes in his usual playing XI, as he gave a chance to fast bowler Kwena Maphaka and Anrich Nortje for the first time in the showpiece event, while also giving a maiden cap to batter Jason Smith. 

Now, Conrad has a better idea of who he could call upon should a situation arise, as all the 15 players on tour have had game time in India.  

"I think it was a nice run for everyone, especially you never know what happens later in the competition," Bosch said, alluding to the bench players getting game time. 

"So, I think it was a good run, especially for the guys that have been on the bench. They did fantastically well. I think that bodes well for us moving forward."

After the fixture against India, South Africa will play the West Indies in Ahmedabad on Thursday, 26 February, before they travel to Delhi to finish off the Super 8 stage with a fixture against Zimbabwe on Sunday, 01 March. 

Ongama Gcwabe is a prominent sports journalist. Writing for Independent Media as a senior contributor, he is recognised for his expertise in SA cricket.