South Africa will host the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) after Morocco’s withdrawal, with Deputy Minister Peace Mabe confirming the country’s readiness due to its existing infrastructure and recent successful events like the G20 summit. Picture: Abdel Majid Bziquat/AFP
Image: Abdel Majid Bziquat/AFP
South Africa will replace Morocco as hosts of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) starting in just over six weeks.
South Africa’s Deputy Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Peace Mabe, confirmed the news on Sunday, speaking to SABC Sport.
Mabe said Morocco was no longer able to host the tournament, but did not give a reason why, but added South Africa would have no problem in taking over.
Morocco hosted the men’s tournament, which ended last month with Senegal winning the title in a controversy-marred final.
“We took an opportunity that presented itself because we feel we have the necessary infrastructure and the support, of course, of hosting the Wafcon,” Mabe told SABC Sport.
“When Morocco said we're not able to host, South Africa said, yes, we are available.”
Mabe referenced the fact that South Africa hosted the G20 summit in Johannesburg in November as an indicator that the country will have no problems in being ready.
“We're going to take it, look, it cannot be debated because we've just recently hosted a successful G20 where heads of states of different countries were here.
“It tells you that in terms of hospitality, we are ready. We have the necessary infrastructure when it comes to stadiums. We’ve hosted the soccer World Cup before, we are ready, we can host it.
“Given the fact that it is in 60 days as well, we are not very much worried. We just have to put systems in place. From tomorrow, we will begin.”
With the tournament running from March 17 to April 3, it’s unclear at this stage how it will affect local football fixtures with the Betway Premiership in full swing.
Related Topics: