Saturday Star News

Bomb Productions concludes probe into Khoza, Nokwe-Mseleku Red Ink case — here’s what it says

Anita Nkonki|Published

Bomb Productions, a production company reveals that it has concluded an internal investigation into allegations of misconduct involving actor Bonko Khoza and actress Nirvana Nokwe-Mseleku, finding insufficient evidence to substantiate the claims.

The matter relates to an incident during the filming of the Showmax mini-series Red Ink in 2023 and has since sparked widespread public debate, alongside renewed scrutiny of safety protocols and accountability within South Africa’s film and television industry.

In a statement, the production company said it activated formal procedures immediately after concerns were raised, stressing that all allegations of abuse or harassment are treated seriously and that the safety, dignity, and well-being of cast and crew remain a priority.

The investigation involved producers, directors, and key personnel present on set. Both parties were informed of the outcome, along with guidance on possible further steps available to them.

According to production company, the scene at the centre of the dispute was a scripted, fully clothed violent stunt sequence within a serial killer storyline. It said no simulated sexual content was involved and confirmed that a safety officer was present during rehearsals and filming.

The company added that both actors were briefed in advance on the nature and intensity of the scene, with ongoing consent and comfort checks conducted throughout production. Cast members were also informed that they could stop or call a cut at any time if they felt uncomfortable.

Following the initial complaint, filming was halted for the day, and internal consultations were launched. Bomb Productions said emotional support was offered to Nokwe-Mseleku, while legal counsel and industry body SWIFT (Sisters Working in Film & Television) were consulted.

The production maintained that no concerns were raised during rehearsals or filming and said performances were consistent with the demands of the scene.

“We acknowledge the seriousness of the allegations and the impact this matter has had on both parties,” the statement read. “We have strived to ensure a process that is careful, fair, and lawful.”

This comes after actor Khoza denied the allegations, rejecting claims of sexual assault and misconduct. He said the scene in question was fully choreographed, rehearsed, and discussed in advance with the director, stunt coordinator, and senior production staff.

Khoza added that Nokwe-Mseleku had been offered a stunt double, which she declined, and said more than 12 crew members were present during filming, including senior technical personnel. He further stated that no concerns were raised at the time or immediately after the shoot, and that he met production representatives the following day to address the matter.

“I stand by victims of sexual assault, however, I deny that I sexually assaulted, thrusted upon, or committed any misconduct in respect of Ms Nokwe-Mseleku,” Khoza said.

Nokwe-Mseleku, however, maintains her allegations and says she opened a criminal case while also reporting the matter to the production’s executive producer, claiming that no meaningful action was taken at the time.

She has described the impact of the incident on her life and career, stating: “I am never going back to acting. I will never put myself in a position where I am told my body is not mine.”

Amid the fallout, she has launched a petition calling for sweeping reforms in the film and television industry. The proposed reforms include independent licensing systems for industry professionals, mandatory trauma-informed and consent-based training, independent reporting and investigation mechanisms, regular safety audits, and stronger regulation of workplace power dynamics.

“This is not about replacing one form of control with another,” the petition states. “This is about creating systems where no one has the power to harm without consequence.”

The case has ignited widespread public debate online, with opinions divided over the allegations, the production’s findings, and broader questions around consent, safety protocols, and accountability in the South African entertainment industry.

[email protected]

Saturday Star